Monday, February 6, 2012

The Land Ethic

 Just as Ray's understanding and connection to the environment in Ecology of a Cracker Childhood was shaped by her childhood growing up in a junkyard, my relationship with the environment was shaped by my childhood growing up on a farm.  My parents taught me that the land we live on can be a benefit to us just as we can be a benefit to the land.  Every year my parents planted a large garden, using the resources of nature to grow our own food.  My family used a wood stove in the winter and we cut all our own wood to burn.  However, my dad had one rule and that was to only cut down trees in our tree line that were dead or had fallen from a summer storm.  I remember helping my mom plant flowers in various areas around the farm or putting stakes around new trees with my dad so they wouldn’t get run over with the lawnmower. One of my favorite childhood memories is eating apples and raspberries with my siblings off the trees and plants that grew in our backyard.  The rest of my family and friends loved coming out to “the farm”.  They found it relaxing and beautiful, a chance to escape the city life and see the beauty of nature.  My experience as a child has given me a better understanding and connection with the environment.  I think we need to educate more people about environmental ethics as the Land Ethic is becoming a more important issue in today's society as people and businesses are realizing the importance of "going green" and sustainability

1 comment:

  1. I had a similar experience of the environment when growing up. I grew up just south of Avon in the Avon Hills. The Avon Hills consists mostly of woods. Just like your childhood, my mom always planted a garden where she grew many vegetables such as sweet corn and green beans. We also have many raspberry bushes and I always loved picking off as many raspberries as I could in order to eat them! Having these memories, along with others, I feel that I have a great respect for nature and the environment and I also think we need to educate many people such as people in businesses in order so they properly respect the environment as well.

    ReplyDelete